top of page
  • Writer's pictureNikki Latham

Man convicted of manslaughter following fatal stabbing in Bournemouth town centre

A man has been found guilty of manslaughter following the fatal stabbing of 18-year-old Cameron Hamilton in Bournemouth town centre.


Thomas Betteridge, aged 18 and of Southsea in Portsmouth, was found guilty of manslaughter and possessing a bladed article on Friday 1 March 2024 following a 21-day trial at Bournemouth Crown Court. He was found not guilty of a charge of murder.


He will return to court to be sentenced on Friday 5 April 2024.


At around 1.25am on Saturday 5 August 2023 officers in the town were made aware of an altercation taking place in the area of The Square. It was subsequently reported that a man had sustained a suspected stab wound.


Despite the efforts of officers – who were on the scene within seconds of the fatal stabbing - and paramedics who subsequently attended, Cameron was very sadly pronounced dead at the scene.


Following a detailed investigation by detectives from Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT), Betteridge was charged and another 18-year-old man, Lennie Hansen of Waterlooville, was also charged with assisting an offender and possessing a bladed article.


Hansen was found not guilty of assisting an offender but had previously admitted a charge of possessing a bladed article, which related to him bringing the knife that Betteridge used to Bournemouth on the day of the fatal stabbing. He will be sentenced alongside Betteridge on Friday 5 April 2024.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Third, of MCIT, said: “Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of Cameron Hamilton and nothing will ever make up for the devastating loss they have endured as a result of what took place in the early hours of Saturday 5 August 2023. I want to thank them sincerely for the dignified way they have conducted themselves throughout the investigation and court process.
“We have worked tirelessly to do all we can to secure justice for Cameron’s loved ones and I want to thank all those involved, from the officers who responded immediately on the night to the investigation team and everyone else across the Force who provided support and helped secure evidence. I also want to thank the Crown Prosecution Service for their assistance in bringing this case to court.
“Cameron’s tragic death at the hands of Thomas Betteridge is the starkest of reminders of the horrific consequences that can result from taking a knife out onto the streets and we will continue to work with our partners and communities to raise awareness and take action on knife crime.”
Andrew Gubbels, Senior Crown Prosecutor for CPS Wessex, said: “This case truly shocked Bournemouth and its surrounding communities to the core.
“The CPS worked closely with Dorset Police to ensure those responsible for these heinous offences were prosecuted.
“Our thoughts remain firmly with Cameron’s family and we hope these convictions send the clear message that violence involving knives has truly devastating consequences.”


This news story has been produced by Chesil Radio's News Team, for more information please visit: https://www.chesilradio.com

9 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page